Challenges: Creating an Effective BI Program & Approach
A leading media enterprise, with multiple online properties and consumer-facing brands, needed improved visibility into its business operations and performance, as well as a deeper understanding of its customer base.
Clear insight was critical because the company, a Fortune 500 organization, served millions of online users on hundreds of media, commerce and product sites and 75+ advertising products.
Given the importance of the initiative and the broad-based impact, synchronizing all dimensions of the change (including the people, process and technology elements) was key to success.
Solution: Define the Organization, Design the Process, Select & Implement the Technology
Engaging directly with the client team, BI experts from Infinitive Analytics helped define the organizational model. Specifically, our team:
- Designed an organizational structure to provide ongoing data management and reporting & analysis services to the company’s executive, product, editorial, sales and marketing teams.
- Partnered with executive and HR teams to define roles, write job descriptions and recruit talent to staff the organization.
- Established a charter and evangelized the group’s services, benefits and engagement process.
- Instituted a training program to continually evolve the team’s expertise and to educate others in the company, which helped to increase the level of self-service adoption.
On the process front, Infinitive Analytics helped lay the foundation for effective data governance and data management. The specific action steps:
- Created an intake process and intranet portal in place to capture, evaluate and prioritize various tracking and analysis requests from the around the company.
- Established corporate standards for page tagging and data definitions to provide a “single version of the truth.”
- Designed and documented work flow processes to make sure high levels of data integrity and corporate compliance standards are sustained as the company’s strategy, KPIs and capabilities evolve.
Selecting and implementing the right technology was another critical element. The team:
- Orchestrated a rationalization effort to assess the company’s tools and technology.
- Managed the evaluation and selection of vendors for Web analytics, research and business intelligence tools through a focused set of requirements and detailed evaluation criteria aligned to business objectives.
- Managed the relationship with the company’s IT department to integrate internal and third-party data sets and onboard new technologies, including those needed to support mobile, video and rich media.
Results: Data Quality & Integrity, Stronger Analytical Capabilities, Solid Technology ROI
Today, the company has the strong and sophisticated BI platform it needs to optimize performance. Reporting and analysis are delivered much more efficiently to both corporate executives and decision makers in the business units.
A higher level of data consistency and completeness – a true single version of the truth – means the company can focus time and resources on generating insights and taking action instead of questioning and reconciling conflicting data.
Robust and active data management and data governance policies and processes – supported by clear data standards and definitions – ensure high levels of data quality are maintained. Intelligence generated from the new environment and team has been used to:
- Drive new customer acquisition and refine acquisition marketing techniques.
- Develop churn models
- Create lifetime value analyses.
- Develop contribution & attribution analyses.
Additionally, by integrating Web click-stream data with CRM and call-center activity, the company has realized full, 360° views of its customer.
As for the new technology environment, the company has greatly improved platform stability and simplified its BI ecosystem. Because of the close alignment between technology capabilities and core business objectives, the company achieved a strong return on its technology investments.